Monday 18 April 2016

Chicago 2016 - Day Thirteen

We needed to leave earlier this week to get to the early church service at Covenant Presbyterian. There  are a few things that get me excited when I come to a church, and two of these happened today. First there was a sermon that was rock solid and gospel centred. It's all about Jesus, and looking to anything else, no matter how good it is, is folly. Give me Jesus. Secondly, they announced a new church that they will be planting in the next year. It's great to hear a large church being keen to send people out to start a new place of witness and worship.

We travelled back into the city for a short break before heading to Union Station - walking past Willis Tower on the way. This is a crazy tall building!!



We jumped on a train to head north to Grayslake where we were to have lunch with the Gossell family. These dear people looked after Tom over the Christmas Break from Uni and a few other times. Riding the train out through the suburbs also meant we were able to see another aspect to Chicago that we haven't yet seen. And the northern suburbs look very nice. 

We had a lovely time with the Gossells. Anne and Emily share an interest in Jane Austen, so they had a lot to talk about. But as we talked with Emily's parents, Ray and Linda, we found many areas of shared interests. It was lovely to sit in their backyard on a warm spring day (about 26 degrees) and enjoy good food and good company. We have a pool at home and it drives me crazy, but at least it doesn't freeze over like theirs does. Small mercies I suppose. 


We arrived back in Chicago and strolled to our rooms, enjoying a few more building views along the way. 


I had some hopes about going out tonight, but at about 9.00pm as I was packing my bag, I began to feel very light-headed. Not sure if that was because I haven't been drinking enough water or because our room feels like a sauna, but I just went to bed instead. 

So, that was that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment