Sunday 27 October 2013

Reflections on NYMC

I have spent the last four days in Coolongatta / Tweed Heads attending the National Youth Ministry Convention. This event provides an opportunity for people involved in youth ministry from right across Australia to receive some excellent professional development, to be inspired and skilled in what they are doing, and, significanty, it means they can also meet other youth workers. 
Here are some thoughts:

If you try to attend everything, you'll be exhausted
This is not a criticism of the organisers, but every day was full. With the mornings having either two workshops sessions or a three hour Professional Development session, two workshops in the afternoon, and then a two hour public rally each night, it is a ful program. The advantage of this is that it provides more chances to attend the different workshops. The downside is feeling very tired (and not having time to visit the beach for long.)

The variety of workshops was amazing.
No matter what area of ministry you are involved in, there was something for you. I attended workshops that dealt with issues like "Dealing with Grief, Depression, and Suicide", "Partnering with Parents", "Turning your dream into reality", "The Sexual World of the 21st century adolescent". But this was only a fraction of what was available. Some of the other options were, "Running Life Changing Camps", "Reaching Boys", "Ministry to Girls", "Finding God in popular Culture", and "Redeeming Social Media". But even that is only a small section. 
Some of these workshops will hopefully be available on the NYMC website. 

I enjoyed almost everything I attended.
That sounds worse than I mean, but the evening rallies were the low point for me. This doesn't mean tehy were rubbish, it just means I didn't find them as helpful as everything else. Joel McKerrow gave (said?) two of his poems, and they were great. There is something powerful about the spoken word. 
I attended three of the four rallies (rallys ?) and felt like the speakers were motivational and strong, but it was the final message from Andy Hawthorne that will stay with me. He is exciting, passionate, and sold out to Jesus without being a complete freak. His story is incredible, and the work he is a part of in Manchester is some of the most inspiring things I've seen for a long time. Go to www.message.org.uk to learn more. You won't regret the time.

You'll get to meet great people.
I really enjoyed staying with the group from the Reformed Church. And through this, not only did I get some new Facebook friends, I think I made real friends too. Here is a church that seems to be working hard to support their youth ministry. .
I was also able to meet, and in some cases spend some time with, some of the key people in youth ministry in Australia at this time. The workshops were great, but when you can privately ask your questions, or learn who can help you best on certain issues, that makes it worth coming. 

I'm glad I came.
I miss my family. I wanted ot be home some times, but I'm glad I was here. I've learned a lot, and most of that will take some time to work through. But I know that I wouldn't have learned it so well sitting at my desk just listening to a podcast. 

So, NYMC 2015 should go onto your calendar now. I hope to be there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment