Monday 23 May 2022

I visited your church on Sunday - here's why I'd come back.

After visiting a church on a previous holiday, I wrote this blog - I visited your church on Sunday - and I'm not coming back

On this holiday we visited a different church and had a very different experience. If I was in the area, or needed to recommend a church to someone in the area, I would recommend you. 

What made this church so good? 

When we arrived, we were still in the car park when we were warmly greeted by someone. He wasn't on duty in the car park, he was with his young son. But he still took a moment to greet us with a smile and a hand shake and an introduction.  

As we came into the building, we were again greeted by an old bloke with a big smile. He handed us the pew-sheet and chatted for a while. 

After the worship service, a couple who were sitting in front of us turned around to speak to us. Then they invited us to stay for morning tea. So we did. And there people spoke with us and made us feel very welcome. 

The building is clearly a church building in its structure and seating. And there is a lot more 'blue' than necessary. 😁 BUT, the chairs were comfortable enough and, more importantly, it was warm. It was chilly outside, but warm inside.

No one will buy a CD of music from this church. I don't say that to be rude in any way, but there was a keyboard used for hymns and the minister playing an acoustic guitar for other songs. (I remember the days of being a minister playing the guitar as the only music. So I salute him for doing this.)

So the music was almost as simple as it could be. But we were able to sing well, in time and in tune.

The preaching was solid and helpful. We were reminded of the importance of unity in the church and the role we all have in that. Importantly we were reminded of God's grace revealed in Jesus. 

The children's talk was also rock-solid and connected to the sermon. Brilliant. 


There was absolutely nothing fancy about this church. Indeed, it was church in it's simple form. And it was wonderful. 

If I was in Wangaratta, I would certainly visit the Presbyterian church again.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment