Saturday 18 May 2013

Big Grace

I've just been reading through another blog and in the middle of describing a troubled period of life, the writer included this phrase,

"I was getting a vision of a very big Jesus with a very big grace for sinners from them."

This got me thinking about how I present the message of Jesus to those around me. When I get the opportunity to preach, do I urge people to live better lives or do I point them to the one who can help them to lead better lives? Do I preach about the condemnation of sinners, or do I preach about the one who gave his all to save those same sinners?

And if I think about this too long, I find myself wishing I could go back through the last 20 years, apologise to some churches for what I have preached and instead urge these people to hold on to Jesus Christ. But I can't go back. (Not that I intentionally misled people. I just fear I have missed the main point too often. Forgive me?)

So, I want to give a vision of a very big Jesus with a very big grace for sinners. And I hope the Church can do the same - but that's another topic all together.

If you want to read the blog I refer to you can find it here: http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/gospeldrivenchurch/2013/05/15/john-piper-and-mark-driscoll-talked-me-off-the-bridge/

I know nothing about the writer other than what he has recorded in this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment